FINDLAY CITY SCHOOLS BOARD OF EDUCATION WORK SESSION MINUTES
January 14, 2021
The Findlay City Schools Board of Education met in special session at 6:00 pm at Glenwood Middle School. President Siebenaler Wilson called the meeting to order. Present were Mr. Aldrich, Ms. Eier, Mrs. Russel, Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, Treasurer Mr. Hammond, Assistant Superintendent Mrs. Miller, and Superintendent Mr. Roth.
Mr. Hammond administered the Oath of Office for President Dr. Siebenaler Wilson and Vice President Mr. Cooper:
OATH OF OFFICE FOR BOARD OFFICERS
“Do you solemnly swear that you will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Ohio; and that you will faithfully and impartially discharge your duties as President/Vice-President in and for the Findlay City School District, Hancock County, Ohio to the best of your ability, and in accordance with the laws now in effect and hereafter enacted?”
- The Strategic Plan for the District was presented by Superintendent Roth. The Plan includes the following three Strategic Objectives:
- Academic Achievement – the goal is that by the 2025 School Year, Findlay City Schools will rank in the top 3 of their 20 similar districts as identified by the Ohio Department of Education;
- Culture, Climate and Morale – the goal is that the District will establish, expect and uphold an environment of belonging for 100% of our students;
- Finance – the goal is to develop and implement plans to ensure sufficient funding for current and future operations, programs, and facilities with transparency for all stakeholders.
- House Bill 409 was recently approved by the State’s General Assembly and signed into law by the Governor according to Mr. Roth. The bill expands the opportunity to license substitute teachers to keep up with the demand for substitutes in the classroom. The bill created an emergency substitute teachers license. The local school is required to establish the parameters they will put in place to sign off on the licensure for substitute teachers working in the schools. The provision of the bill sunsets when the 2021 school year concludes. Mr. Roth recommends that the Board resolve to establish the parameters for an Emergency Substitute Licensure for substitutes teaching in Findlay Schools for the remainder of the 2021 school year. The parameters include:
(1) High School diploma or above
(2) pass an FBI/BCI background check
(3) recommended by a Findlay City School Administrator after an interview process
(4) approved by the Ohio Department of Education
It was motioned by Mr. Cooper, seconded by Mr. Aldrich to adopt the recommendations proposed by Superintendent Roth regarding the Emergency Substitute Licensure criteria.
Roll call: Mr. Cooper, aye; Mr. Aldrich, aye; Ms. Eier, aye; Mrs. Russel, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
REPORTS TO THE BOARD
Mr. Hammond informed the Board about the laws governing the compensation of Board members. The discussion also included the establishment of a Scholarship Fund in lieu of accepting compensation as a Board member.
REPORTS FROM THE BOARD
Mrs. Russel led a discussion on the Treasurer search. Two options were discussed including using K-12 Business Solutions or the Ohio School Boards’ Association (OSBA). It was agreed that the Board will pursue a contract with the OSBA to assist with the Treasurer search.
It was motioned by Mr. Cooper, seconded by Mr. Aldrich to adjourn the meeting at 7:52 pm.
Roll: Mr. Cooper, aye; Mr. Aldrich, aye; Ms. Eier, aye; Mrs. Russel, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
NOTE: The next Regular Board meeting will be held Monday, January 25, 2021.