FINDLAY CITY SCHOOLS BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING MINUTES
August 30, 2021
The Findlay City Schools Board of Education met August 30, 2021 in regular session at 6:00 p.m. at Donnell Middle School and via teleconference. President Siebenaler Wilson called the meeting to order. Present were Mr. Aldrich, Mr. Cooper, Ms. Eier, Mrs. Russel, Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, Treasurer Mrs. Harrington, Assistant Superintendent Mrs. Miller, and Superintendent Mr. Roth.
2021-008-013 READING, APPROVAL, AND SIGNING OF MINUTES
It was motioned by Mrs. Russel, seconded by Mr. Cooper to approve the Regular Meeting Minutes from August 9, 2021, Special Meeting Minutes from August 5, 2021 and Special Meeting Minutes from August 20, 2021.
Roll call: Mrs. Russel, aye; Mr. Cooper, aye; Mr. Aldrich, aye; Ms. Eier, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
Mrs. Hamlin welcomed the Board and discussed Millstreams excitement in completing Boot Camp last week. Teaching Professions teacher, Mrs. Jackie Gleason spoke briefly to the Board and presented three students from the teaching professions program to explain what they were able to take away from the summer camp and working with students. Mrs. Hamlin also presented each board member with a gift from the Millstream welding department. Mrs. Russel celebrated Jefferson and how much the students and staff appreciate the air conditioning! Teachers have new laptops, which they are loving, and new BenQ TV’s. Mrs. Russel thanked Mr. Doolittle for the AC and Mr. White for the new technology. Dr. Siebenaler Wilson celebrated on behalf of Mrs. Simon at Glenwood Middle School and the excitement to the start of the school year. Dr. Siebenaler thanked Movement Church for opening their doors and providing lunch during one of the PD training days. She also celebrated 2 Project Based Learning Projects displayed in town. A gate created and constructed at the new Kiwanis playground and the new stage being used at the Hancock County Fair. Mr. Cooper celebrated convocation being held outside this year and seeing the band perform. Mr. Aldrich celebrated Mr. Doolittle and his staff for all the work completed this summer. Ms. Eier celebrated Misty Sager at Chamberlin Hill and all they’ve accomplished in the first week of school. She also celebrated Jackie Nelson at Findlay Preschool and their upcoming outdoor concert with Jim Gill on September 23, 2021 on the playground and their beautiful sensory room. Mr. Roth celebrated Laura Julien for all her hard work on the new website. He also thanked Mr. Doolittle, Mr. Siefring, and the entire staff for all the efforts this summer to prepare schools for students. Mr. Roth also celebrated all the classified staff for all their hard work. He also thanked everyone who assisted in preparing Donnell for the meeting tonight.
Any individual desiring to speak shall give his/her name, address, and group, if any, that is represented. The presentation should be as brief as possible. Unless an extension of time is granted, the speaker shall be limited to five (5) minutes until the total of thirty (30) minutes is used.
Reegan Hayward, a junior at FHS expressed concerns regarding mask mandates for students. Molly Frische, a junior at FHS thanked the Board for allowing parents the options of masks for their students. She also stated she thinks the Pledge of Allegiance should be said everyday in every school building. Tess Cramer, a 7th grader at Glenwood Middle School expressed her joy of not wearing a mask at school and thanked the Board for giving parents the choice. Bryn Cramer, a 4th grader at Wilson Vance thanked the Board for allowing parents the choice of mask wearing for their students. Angela Guthrie, a parent and community member expressed concerns with the lack of transparency from the district regarding CRT. Jerome Gray, parent and community member reiterated comments from the August 9, 2021 Board meeting regarding diversity and the new cycle. Chip Garnes, community member, expressed how he was proud to be from Findlay and would like to be on a diversity committee. Sandy Korecky, a parent, expressed concerns about mask mandates for students and asked to allow the parents to decide. Braden Lydick, an FHS student expressed fear of students not wearing masks and asked the Board to mandate masks. Renee Leguire, a parent, thanked the Board for allowing parents to have a choice in mask wearing. Heather Laumeyer, a parent of an FHS student, expressed concerns for elementary students wearing masks in the classroom. Allison Yeager voiced her appreciation to the Board and the decisions they are making in the best interest of the students. Shauna Haynes, new parent to Findlay expressed her concern for mandating masks for students and asked that students mask-up! Wanda Fruth asked the Board to uphold their oath of office.
2021-008-014 CONSENT ITEMS (A-K)
It was motioned by Mr. Aldrich, seconded by Mrs. Russel to approve consent items A-K.
June 14, 2021 Minutes
- Brittany Baightel, Northview/Bigelow Hill K-3 Literacy Teacher, From: MA, Step 7 @ $55,245 (based on 2020-21 salary schedule), To: MA+15, Step 7 @ $59,766
- Joseph Duncan, High School Intervention Specialist, From: MA+15, Step 15 @ $71,773 (based on 2020-21 salary schedule) To: MA, Step 15 @ $69,266
August 9, 2021 Agenda
- Jackie Gleason, From Head Middle School Cross Country Coach @ $3,444, To Head Middle School Cross Country Coach @ $4,592
- Justin Gunka, From Assistant Football Coach @ $3,444, To Assistant Football Coach @ $6,888
- Jeff Stutzman, From Head 8th Grade Football Coach @ $3,827, To Head 8th Grade Football Coach @ $5,740
B. FHS Scholarship IEPs for up to 20 IEPS and up to 4 hours per IEP @ $22.01
- Emily Ludwig
C. Resident Educator Mentor Academy PD Stipend $80/day for 2 days (Acct # 001-1100-111)
- Maddie Zellner
D. Stipend $80.00 a day for August 10th & 11th 2021 for co-teaching professional development. (Acct # 001-1100-432)
- Tina Gephart
E. Heggerty Professional Development @ $22.01/hr for 2 hours Acct # (001-1100-432)
- Jessi Warren, Lisa Schadel
F. Leader in me coaching July 29th 2021 @ $22.01/hr up to 4 hrs. (Acct # 001-1100-432)
- Katie Kin, Caitlin Porter
G. KRA Assessing up to 80 hrs @ $22.01/hr.
- Kathy Young
H. Dibels Training for K-2 on 9/1 or 9/2 (teachers’ choice) @22.01/hr for 1.5 hrs. Acct # 001-1100-432
- Kara Ankney, Danielle Apple, Tracy Aukerman, Nathan Bates, Stephanie Brant, Britney Brubaker, Audrey Curth
- Elizabeth Delaney, Britani DeMaet, Cheryl Drake, Kylie Givens, Kelsey Goldsberry, Sheane Gross, Lisa Hoy, Jane Kniss
- Michelle Lucas, Lisa Luedeker-Hazen, Jena Meloy, Kimberlee Miller, Janelle Morris, Kristina Pritchard, Sandy Recker
- Kara Ross, Melanie Rowan, Lisa Rutter, Lani Sapp, Lisa Schadel, Lauren Schumacker, Katie Slaughterbeck,
- Kimberlee Smith, Michael Snyder, Tamara Spaeth, Sarah Strohscher, Stefanie Taylor, Kristianne Thiel, Rebecca Wank,
- Jessi Warren, Holly Wise, Kelly Wyant
I. Administrative Compensation Plan and Cell Phone Tier Plan
- The superintendent recommends approval of the Administrative Compensation Plan and Cell Phone Tier Plan as shown in EXHIBIT A.
J. Volunteer – 2021-2022 Certified Club Advisors/Helpers
- Anne Aronson – Environmental Club Clean4Green
- Amanda Brasfield – Volunteer Books n’ Brownies Advisor
- Carmen Brown – FFE Costumes Volunteer
- Kendra Grubinski – S.T.A.N.D. (FCA) Volunteer Advisor
- Christine Siebeneck – Key Club Volunteer
- Jason Wagner – Volunteer Art Club Advisor
- Danielle Wilkin – Key Club Volunteer
- Erica Brunow, Varsity Cheerleading Coach (Football) FHS @ $3,827.00
- James (Andy) Cantrell, School Newspaper Advisor/Business Manager FHS @ $8,419.00
- Hannah Chamberlain, RTI Team FHS @ $1,531.00
- Shelby Fenn, Department Chair, Mathematics (6-8) (1/3 time) @ $255.00
- Jon Gaberdiel, Department Chairperson Art (6-12) @ $2,296.00
- Kendra Grubinski, Chair Foreign Language Grades 8-12 @ $1,531.00
- Ben Kirian, Chair Social Studies Department Grades 9-12 @ $1,913.00
- Emily Ludwig, Department Chairperson Special Education (9-12) @ $1,148.00
- Emma Miller, Department Chair, Language Arts (6-8) (1/3 time) @ $255.00
- Denielle Myers, RTI Team FHS @ $765.00
- Becky Pfaltzgraf, Chair English Department Grades 9-12 @ $3,444.00
- Brian Rosendale, Department Chairperson Physical Education (6-12) @ $1,531.00
- Mike Ruthenberg, Chair Science Department Grades 9-12, @ $765.00
- Barb Tardibuono, RTI Team FHS @ $765.00
Roll call: Mr. Aldrich, aye; Mrs. Russel, aye; Mr. Cooper, aye; Ms. Eier, aye, Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
2021-008-015 CONSENT ITEMS (L-CC)
It was motioned by Mr. Aldrich, seconded by Mr. Cooper to approve consent items L-CC.
- Angela Beckley (Aide, Donnell), (2 years), Reason: Resignation, Effective: August 19, 2021
- Melinda Hernandez, From: Library Aide, Chamberlin Hill @ $19.11, To: Special Education Aide, Jefferson @ $18.74/hr Effective: August 30, 2021
N. Leave of Absence (unpaid)
- Melinda Ary (Food Service Worker, Chamberlin Hill), Effective: August 24, 2021 to January 14, 2022, Reason: Personal
July 19 Minutes
- John Coleman, From 7th grade football coach @ $3,827, To 7th grade football coach @ $4,975
- Special Education Aide
- Adam Sielschutt (Special Ed Aide, Chamberlin Hill), Salary: Step 1 @ $13.71/hour (based on 2020-21 salary schedule), Effective: August 13, 2021
- Alison Wirt (Special Ed Aide, Donnell), Salary: Step 5, Year 5 @ $15.50/hour (based on 2020-21 salary schedule), Effective: August 20, 2021
- John Routzon (Security, High School), Salary: $18.10/hour (based on 2020-21 salary schedule), Effective: August 24, 2021
Q. Assistant Treasurer with Treasurer’s License Job Description
- The superintendent recommends approval of the Assistant Treasurer with Treasurer’s License job description as shown in EXHIBIT B.
R. Registered Behavior Technician $400 Initial Certificate Stipend for 2020-21
- Connie Misamore
S. Registered Behavior Technician $300 Renewal Certificate Stipend for 2021-22
- Ashleigh Nelson, Christy Nippe
T. 2021-2022 STITT Early Literacy Grant Aide @ $10.32/hour
- Julia Lentz – Jefferson, Jim Smarkel – Northview, Lee Ann Smarkel – Northview
U. FIA’s to come in on Teacher PD Days August 18, August 19, and August 20 up to 6 hours per day
- Ray Elbin
V. Noon Hour Monitors @ $10.18/hour
- Mike Arthur ~ Chamberlin Hill
- Belinda Cordi ~ Bigelow Hill
W. Operational Procedures Handbook
- The superintendent recommends approval of the Operational Procedures Handbook as shown in EXHIBIT C.
X. Administrative Special Areas Compensation Plan
- The superintendent recommends approval of the Administrative Special Areas Compensation Plan as shown in EXHIBIT D.
Y. Treasurers Report
- The treasurer recommends approval of the treasurers report as shown in EXHIBIT E to include:
- Medical Insurance Monthly Premium Rates, Assured Partners Continuing Agreement, Contracting with Parsons Risk Strategies, Sun-Life Renewal, Express Scripts.
Z. Volunteer 2021-2022 Classified Club Advisors/Helpers
- Garth Brown – FFE Truck Driver/Technical Director Volunteer
- Franny Capponi – Shockwave Battery Volunteer
- Zoe Mason – Shockwave Pit Volunteer
- Lynn Parsell – Volunteer Hockeyettes Advisor
AA. Supplemental Duty Assignments – Non-Certificated Personnel for 2021-2022 School Year
- WHEREAS, in accordance with the provision of the Ohio Revised Code 3313.53, the duly appointed representatives of the Findlay Board of Education have offered the following extra-duty positions, listed below, to the certificated employees of the district and have advertised the positions to certificated personnel not employed by the district, and
- WHEREAS, no qualified certificated individuals have been found for these positions,
- NOW BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that the Findlay Board of Education hereby deems it appropriate to employ non-certificated personnel for the specified positions for a period not to exceed one (1) year and that the compensation shall be according to the adopted salary schedule for said position(s):
- Colin Logan, Freshmen Boys’ Soccer Coach FHS @ $1,531.00
BB. Sunlife Renewal
- The superintendent recommends approval of the Sunlife Renewal as shown in EXHIBIT F.
- GIFT: $500.00, FROM: The Ernst Family, TO: FHS Boys Soccer Program
- GIFT: $200.00, FROM: Janet Quarrie, TO: Whittier Clothes ClosetRoll call: Mr. Aldrich, aye; Mr. Cooper, aye, Ms. Eier, aye; Mrs. Russel, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
2021-008-016 CONSENT ITEM (DD)
It was motioned by Mrs. Russel, seconded by Mr. Aldrich to approve consent item DD.
DD. Bus Trip Rate MOA
- The superintendent recommends approval of the Bus Trip Rate MOA as shown in EXHIBIT G.
Roll call: Mrs. Russel, aye; Mr. Aldrich, aye; Mr. Cooper, abstain, Ms. Eier, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
- New Japanese textbooks and resources. Mr. Roth
- Transportation: Mr. Roth, Mr. Doolittle, and Mr. Qutub
2021-008-017 THEN AND NOW RESOLUTION
It was motioned by Mr. Cooper, seconded by Mrs. Russel to approve the Then and Now Resolution as shown in EXHIBIT H.
Roll call: Mr. Cooper, aye; Mrs. Russel, aye; Mr. Aldrich, aye; Ms. Eier, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
REPORTS TO THE BOARD
- Summer School: Mrs. Renn, Ms. Arnold, Ms. Elbin, and Dr. Theis
- COVID Dashboard Update: Mrs. Crates-Miller
Mr. Roth reminded everyone that there will be no school on Friday due to professional development. Mr. Roth also thanked everyone for coming.
2021-008-018 EXECUTIVE SESSION
It was motioned by Mr. Aldrich, seconded by Mr. Cooper to go into executive session at 7:42 pm to discuss employment and compensation of personnel and upcoming negotiations.
Roll call: Mr. Aldrich, aye; Mr. Cooper, aye; Ms. Eier, aye; Mrs. Russel, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
Mr. Cooper left prior to executive session ending.
It was motioned by Mrs. Russel, seconded by Mr. Aldrich to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 pm.
Roll call: Mrs. Russel, aye; Mr. Aldrich, aye; Ms. Eier, aye; Dr. Siebenaler Wilson, aye. President Siebenaler Wilson declared the motion carried.
The next Regular Board meeting will be held September 20, 2021 at Donnell Middle School.
NOTE: To request copies of the exhibits please email email@example.com