Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
WHO CAN I CALL IF I HAVE QUESTIONS?
Please call the Findlay City Schools Administrative Offices at 419-427-5488 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The office will be open from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Monday-Friday until further notice. A FCS team member will be happy to help answer your questions and connect you with other supports for more information.
WHERE DO I SEND INTRA AND INTER-DISTRICT APPLICATIONS?
Intra and Inter-District Applications can be mailed to the Findlay City Schools EMIS Coordinator, 2019 Broad Ave, Findlay, Ohio 45840, emailed to email@example.com or dropped in the drop box at the Welcome Center during the above hours of operations.
WHEN IS THE FOOD DISTRIBUTION AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS?
Findlay City Schools will continue to offer free “Grab and Go” lunches for children ages 1-18 at Lincoln Elementary and Glenwood Middle School from 11:30-12:30 Monday-Friday. Tuesday and Friday lunch students can pick up meals from 4:00-6:00 p.m. at all elementary schools.
HOW ARE STUDENTS CONTINUING THEIR EDUCATION?
Remote Education Opportunities are continuing during the mandated school closure. Teachers have developed guidance for each grade level. Grades K-2 are working from Trojan Totes. Grades 3-12 are working with Google Chrome. Students will utilize class instructional materials shared through their teacher. More information about Remote Education Options can be found here: https://fcs.org/reo/
WHAT IF MY STUDENT DOESN’T HAVE ACCESS TO WI-FI?
You have various options:
1. Contact your student’s principal.
2. Contact Charter:
- Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
- Charter will partner with school districts to ensure local communities are aware of these tools to help students learn remotely. Charter will continue to offer Spectrum Internet Assist, high-speed broadband program to eligible low-income households delivering speeds of 30 Mbps.
- Charter will open its Wi-Fi hotspots across our footprint for public use.
- Spectrum does not have data caps or hidden fees.
3. Connect to the Findlay-Hancock County Public Library’s WiFi. Connect from the library parking lot and spaces outside the building. If you are outside, please maintain “social distancing.”
4. Even if the school buildings are closed, you can still access free WiFi. Please maintain “social distancing.”
WHEN WILL STUDENTS RETURN TO SCHOOL?
This is an evolving situation, FCS will continue to follow the guidance from the Governor along with the Center for Disease Control. Updates will be shared when they are available. Currently, Governor Dewine has mandated the closing until April 6th, 2020.
HOW WILL MY STUDENTS BE SCREENED FOR KINDERGARTEN?
When school resumes, parents will be notified of new kindergarten screening dates.
CAN STUDENTS STILL ENROLL IN FINDLAY CITY SCHOOLS?
Yes. Parents or guardians can begin the enrollment process at fcs.org/register. Parents or guardians can also enroll at the Welcome Center. In order to keep the at-risk population protected, appointments are preferred. Please call 419-425-8275 to schedule an appointment to register your student(s).
Intra and Inter-District applications can be mailed to the Findlay City Schools EMIS Coordinator, 2019 Broad Ave., Findlay, OH 45840 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be dropped off at the Welcome Center during the above hours of operations.
WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS FOR GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS? WHAT ARE THE PLANS FOR GRADUATION COMMENCEMENT?
Findlay City Schools is working with the Department of Education on the requirements for graduation for current seniors. We know it is important to celebrate important milestones. We are extremely proud of each of our students, especially the 2020 graduating seniors. No decision has been made at this time. We will continue to monitor situations related to COVID-19 and inform our graduates of any future plans.
WHAT ARE THE PLANS FOR PROM?
Plans for prom have been postponed at this time.
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE AMOUNT OF MONEY IN MY STUDENTS LUNCH ACCOUNT?
Please contact the Food Service Director, Teresa Welty at email@example.com.
HOW CAN I TALK TO MY CHILD ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS?
The National Association of School Psychologists shared a helpful publication for talking to kids about COVID-19. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
WHAT ABOUT FUTURE SCHOOL TRIPS OR FIELD TRIPS?
All extracurricular activities have been postponed for the time being. Findlay City Schools will work with and continue to take advice from the Governor and health officials.
ARE ALL ATHLETICS AND CLUB SPORTS CANCELLED?
Yes, athletics are cancelled until further notice.
WILL SCHOOL PLAYGROUNDS THAT ARE TRADITIONALLY ACCESSIBLE STILL BE OPEN?
Findlay City Schools playgrounds are currently closed due to the “Stay at Home” order by Governor DeWine. Please explain to children and others about social distancing guidelines.
HOW CAN I HELP FINDLAY CITY SCHOOLS DURING THIS CHALLENGING TIME?
We have heard an outpouring of interest from community members who want to know how they can support our students during this time. Thank you for your support!
We are thankful for the offers from the community and offers to volunteer at the food distribution. We are restricting the staffing to a minimum, adequate personnel in an effort to support and enhance social distancing. Community members interested in assisting with the Feed-a-Child program, should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW WILL YOU CONTINUE TO UPDATE THE COMMUNITY?
Please continue to check the FCS website, emails, and social media as we pledge to keep the information updated.
WHAT IS A CHROMEBOOK?
Chromebooks are mobile devices designed specifically for people who live on the web. With a comfortable, full-sized keyboard, large display and clickable trackpad, all-day battery life, lightweight and built-in ability to connect to Wi-Fi networks, the Chromebook is ideal for anytime, anywhere access to the web.
WHAT KIND OF SOFTWARE DOES A CHROMEBOOK RUN?
Chromebooks run thousands of web-based applications, or web apps, that open right in the browser. You can access web apps by typing their URL into the address bar or by installing them instantly from the Chrome Web Store.
HOW ARE THESE WEB-BASED APPLICATIONS MANAGED?
Each Chromebook we provide to students will be a managed device. Members of the FCS technology department will maintain devices through our Google G-Suite for Education account.
CAN THE CHROMEBOOK BE USED ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME?
Yes, as long as you have a Wi-Fi signal to access the web. There is an offline option, as well, when using Google Drive, and when students enter a Wi-Fi connection, it syncs again to the student’s Google account.
WILL OUR CHROMEBOOK BE ABLE TO USE A CELLULAR SERVICE?
No. The district Chromebooks will not connect to 4G broadband or a cellular signal.
IS THERE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE INCLUDED WITH THE CHROMEBOOKS?
No, there is not. All of the data is stored in the cloud, therefore is no need for antivirus software. They do, however, come with web filtering.
HOW LONG WILL THE CHROMEBOOK RUN ON A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY?
Chromebooks have a rated battery life of 8-10 hours. However, we do expect that students charge them each evening to ensure maximum performance during the school day without interruption of use.
CHROMEBOOK CARE REMINDERS
- Take good care of your new Chromebook. You will use the same Chromebook for 3-4 years.
- Carry your Chromebook with both hands.
- It is highly recommended that a protective bag or cover be purchased to protect the Chromebook.
- Set your Chromebook on a flat surface to use it. An example of a flat surface is a desk or table.
- Keep food and drinks away from your Chromebook. In other words, do not eat or drink while you are using the Chromebook. Instead, take a study break away from your Chromebook.
- Never place a heavy object or a lot of objects on top of your Chromebook.
- Charge your Chromebook every night at home.
- If you close the lid of your Chromebook, you will help save the battery.
- You can use your Chromebook when the battery level is low. Just remember to charge when you get home.
- When you plug in your Chromebook to charge it, look for the charging light indicator. This will assure you that your Chromebook is being charged.
- Let the Chromebook completely charge to a full battery.
- Charging a Chromebook could take up to 4 hours. Therefore, plug it in to charge and go do something else.
- Extreme heat or cold can harm the device. Never leave the device in a hot or frozen car.