WALKERS & RIDERS
Transportation will be furnished to all elementary pupils who live more than three-quarter (.75) of a mile from the school they are required to attend; for middle school pupils, the limit shall be in excess of one and one-half (1-1/2) miles; for high school pupils, the limit shall be in excess of two (2) miles. Measurements, for purposes of this policy, will be done by establishing the most direct route between student residences and schools as measured electronically by computer routing.
Transportation shall be furnished for shorter distance if, in the opinion of the Superintendent, the road is unreasonably hazardous relative to the age of the child concerned.
This policy does not apply for those students assigned transportation as part of their Individualized Education Plan (I.E.P.).
Nothing in this policy is intended to limit the Board’s authority in the future to eliminate furnishing transportation to students as may be permitted by law.
In the event of any dispute over the proper application of this policy, the Board’s decision shall be final.
Walkers and Riders Procedure
I. REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF BUS ASSIGNMENT – Grades 6 – 12 ONLY
- Students are assigned to bus routes by the transportation department.
- No student is permitted to change his/her bus or stop assignment unless he/she has written permission.
- Permission to ride another bus or change stops may be granted provided:
a) no unscheduled stop will be required.
b) there is space available on the bus.
c) a discipline problem will not develop.
d) the purpose of the change conforms to the State adopted rules and regulations.
e) a request form is submitted and approved.
- Parents must fill out a form at the school requesting a change of bus assignment.
- Students who are eligible bus riders may ride a bus to and from a sitter based on seat availability. Regular eligible riders will be given first priority.
- Students must get on at the same stop every morning. Students must get off at the same stop every afternoon. The morning and afternoon stops may differ, but both must remain consistent every day. The parent is responsible for transporting to and from the scheduled stops.
- Students may cross building attendance area boundaries to and from a sitter as long as the arrangements meet all policy provisions as outlined in 1 – 6 above.
II. TEMPORARY BUS PERMIT PROCEDURE:
- Temporary bus permits will be issued to eligible bus riders only.
- Riders must remain on their assigned bus. They may utilize another established bus stop on their assigned bus provided written authorization has been secured from the parent and the principal and presented to the driver on a Temporary Bus Permit form when the student boards the bus.
III. BABYSITTER PROCEDURES – Grades P-5 ONLY
Requests will be processed to and/or from a babysitter based on the following conditions:
- Submit this form to the Transportation Office after all requested information has been completed.
P-5 Request for Change of Bus Assignment form.
- The babysitter residence must be located in the eligible bus area of the child’s school of attendance.
- New stops will not be created. Requested stop must be on an existing route. Seating space must be available on the bus.
- Students must ride the same bus each morning and board from one designated bus stop. Students must ride the same bus each afternoon and depart the bus at one designated bus stop. The morning bus and afternoon bus assignment may be different; but both must remain consistent every day.
- Shared parenting arrangements will be recognized per court orders and accommodated when possible.
- Approved requests are valid for one school year only. Parents who want to participate again the following school year must complete and submit a new Babysitter Bus Service Request Form prior to the annual June 30th deadline. Please note that priority is given to eligible riders without transportation services from their home neighborhood during the first few months of each school year. As a result, forms submitted after June 30th may not get processed until October.
School Bus Safe-Riding Rules
OHIO PUPIL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY RULES REGULATION 3301-83-08
- Pupils shall arrive at the bus stop before the bus is scheduled to arrive. (We recommend 3-4 minutes prior to the scheduled pick up time.)
- Pupils must wait in a location clear of traffic and away from the bus stops.
- Behavior at school bus stops must not threaten life, limb, or property of any individual.
- Pupils must go directly to an available or assigned seat. (Local procedure instructs the driver to assign seats to all students on each route.)
- Pupils must remain seated, keeping aisles and exits clear.
- Pupils must observe classroom conduct and obey the driver promptly and respectfully.
- Pupils must not use profane language.
- Pupils must refrain from eating and drinking on the bus except as required for medical reasons. (Please notify the transportation office in advance.)
- Pupils must not use tobacco on the bus.
- Pupils must not have alcohol or drugs in their possession on the bus except for prescription medication required for a student.
- Pupils must not throw or pass objects on, from, or into the bus.
- Pupils may carry on the bus only objects that can be held in their laps. (This includes musical instruments & school projects.)
- Pupils must leave or board the bus at locations to which they have been assigned unless they have parental and administrative authorization to do otherwise.
- Pupils must not put head or arms out of the bus windows.
View a map of the Findlay City School District Boundaries, Bus Routes & sign-up for up-to-date information on transportation changes.